Friday, February 11, 2011

Another Cold Day With A Warm Attitude

Not much has been happing around here. Been raining off and on for the last week and now as I sit here typing this its 22 deg. out. I went down yesterday to the local social security office and transfered everthing down here. So I guess im going to make a go of it down here. I was very pleased with the service down here. The workers were very friendly, not like Indiana, were they treat you like a criminal. Every time i had to go to or talk to anyone at the office in IN, they acted like it was just a bother for them to do anything. Its there fricking job for fucks sake. Then your put on with another person, because Indiana, in there wisdome privitized everthing so you have to talk with another person, who is always in a worse mood than the last. They act like you just pulled them away from a sunny beach sipping a frozen drink out of a cocconut shell, to move a frozen couch up 10 flights of stairs.

Not down here, I was greated with a smile, and when called apon for an interview it was "Sir, right this way" as they held the door for you. I imedietly looked around the corner for some one waiting in ambush to kick me in the man bag. But no, as i walked down the hallway i was greeted with "So how has you day been?" and i reply out of instinct "Oh just fine." Then as we enter the office this woman turns and says, "Hi, Im Mary and Ill be helping you today. Please have a seat. Ill be back in just a sec."

I was in shock. Waited for the beast to pounce out of the shadows but all I saw was pictures of her smiling kids.  Art work adorned the walls as masterpieces. And as an artist myself I seen some potental hanging on the walls. One piece caught my eye, ive done them my self in school. fold a piece of paper like a pizza and each slice is simillar but not the same as the one next, and the complete opposite. It was a very well done piece and I enjoyed it very much, it made me remember of the pieces that are hanging in my moms stairwell from when i was in art classes.

Mary returned and we went down to the buisness at hand untill she reilized i didnt need to reapply i just need to call soc. sec. and change my address and everthing would change over. AWSOME. She them gave a piece of paper with the number i need to call. And she then walked me out the door. As I walked through the door she was holding open she said. "Have a nice day". I was shocked at the service. But the day wasent over. As I was pulling out of the parking lot my cell rings, "James, its Mary, you havent left yet did you? I looked in the parking lot and didint see you." she says
"No no im just to the street, what is it." I answered. I was actually pulling onto the street.
" You have to talk to another person for your food stamps, ill let them know your comming back in."

Well it took me a few mins to find another parking spot and then walk back in. As I reach the window the lady behind the counter looks at me and asks "You James?"
"Yes, they just" was all i could get out before i was cut off.
"Yea there waiting for you have a seat and ill let them know your out here."

I only waited a few more min before i was called back. Again she held the door for me, as i walked past she showed me to her office and again said "Please have a seat."
Ok these people are really starting to impress me.
"My name is Kim and ill help you go over this application, feel free to ask any question at anytime, ok."
We went throught the application that i had just filled out and even found a way to make a few jokes in there as well. I started to forget were i was at for a min there. That was untill i had to sign some papers. There was more converstation, even a few laughs, and then it was over. As got up I was looking for the the guy that would come in and drill me to "Make sure im telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." but he wasnt there.

Kim walked me to the door but this time i beat her to it and held it open for her, "Well thank you kind sir" was the response i got. As i walked out the door i was in such awe that it could actually be peacefull that I was kind of floating. I reached my truck with a smile still on my face.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

oldchigger said...

Ah, kindness, being polite, actually concerned, pleasent, friendly, those used to be the norm back in the younger days of many of our lives. Moving to Texas in 1980 you would get greeted on the streets with, "Morning, or Howdy". Sometimes even a, "How ya doing this morning, good to see ya". Not now! Your lucky if they don't run right over you trying to beat you thru the dam door. Good job grabbing that door for the lady. Dispite what they say, true red-blooded gentlemen will always and will continue to open doors for ladies. Thats just how we're wired. Nuff said!